Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Act in Doctrine Review...


New Release from Elder David A. Bednar
“What we do with the truths we know and how we ‘act in doctrine’ are essential elements and key indicators of our testimony, conversion, and spiritual development.”

Elder David A. Bednar’s first book, Increase in Learning, focused on three fundamental and interrelated gospel imperatives–learning, acting, and becoming. His new book, Act in Doctrine, shifts focus from the learning imperative to detailing key insights necessary to closing the gap between what we know and how we act.

Elder Bednar writes that “the essential first step in reducing the disparity between gospel knowledge and righteous behavior is learning about and emulating the character of Christ.” His encouragement to readers is to now translate what they know into what they do and transition from focusing on one’s self to focusing on the Savior.

Act in Doctrine is a unique blend of print, media, and online resources, aimed at providing patterns for spiritual learning that will lead readers to understand and act on gospel truths in a whole new way.

The book’s outstanding features include:
  • Extra-wide margins for recording thoughts.
  • Links throughout the book lead to teaching moments on the DVD, which includes a Q&A session with Elder Bednar.
  • Act in Doctrine is available as an enhanced e-book with embedded video content (featured on the Deseret Bookshelf app), and as a standard e-book on other e-readers.
  • Chapters from the book are linked to Seek, an online content library and community, at seek.deseretbook.com/learning
Review: Act in Doctrine is incredible! I love that there is plenty of room throughout the book to write my thoughts as I am studying. The DVD included is fantastic and really helped with my learning. In chapter 3 the powerful messages to help us have true conversion unto the Lord really inspired me! I also like the invitation to learn and act boxes at the end of each chapter. Thank you for another wonderful book that helps bring me closer to the Savior! 

About the Author: Elder David A. Bednar was called to serve as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 2004. Prior to his call, he served as an Area Seventy, regional representative, and stake president. He served a mission to southern Germany then attended Brigham Young University, where he received a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree. He received a Ph.D. in organizational behavior from Purdue University and was a professor of business management at Texas Tech University and the University of Arkansas. Elder Bednar served as the president of BYU-Idaho from 1997 to 2004. He and his wife, Susan, are the parents of three sons.
DISCLAIMER: *I do not receive any money for my posts. I do however receive the review products at no charge to evaluate and express my opinion.* 

7 comments:

Melissa Thomas said...

I am so getting this for my Dad for Christmas thanks for the review Shauna!

Todd M. said...

Act in Doctrine sounds really good

Linda Roberts said...

I love Elder David A. Bednar and want to read this.

Patty said...

Another book I added to my must read list thanks!

Rob said...

This book sounds great. I will have to read it.

Elisa Hutchings said...

Elder Bednar always knows how to teach in a way that makes it exciting to learn!

Elisa Hutchings said...

Elder Bednar always knows how to teach in a way that makes it fun to learn! On my must read list!