Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What's On the Other Side: What the Gospel Teaches Us About the Spirit World Review...


The Prophet Joseph Smith observed that death and the spirit world are subjects "we ought to study more than any other. . . . If we have claim on our Heavenly Father for anything, it is for knowledge on this important subject."

Brent Top, a professor of Church History and Doctrine at BYU, highlights the wealth of information the scriptures and latter-day prophets and apostles have provided to us about death and the spirit world—its location and conditions, the nature of departed spirits, and the work performed for and by those there. Removing much of the mystery and fear associated with dying, this book demonstrates that knowing what life will be like after death can help inspire us to live better lives here and now.


I really enjoyed this book! It starts with this incredible poem by President Hinckley...

What is this thing that men call death,
This quiet passing in the night?
’Tis not the end but genesis
Of better worlds and greater light.
O God, touch Thou my aching heart
And calm my troubled, haunting fears.
Let hope and faith, transcendent, pure,
Give strength and peace beyond my tears.
There is no death, but only change,
With recompense for victory won.
The gift of Him who loved all men,
The Son of God, the Holy One.
~President Gordon B. Hinckley
I love it! Also the powerful scriptures in this book are amazing! Chapter 7 helps remind us which things matter most and what our eternal priorities should be. After reading this I felt so uplifted and such peace. I highly recommend this beautifully written book! 

Thank you so very much Deseret Book for bringing us another fantastic product!

DISCLAIMER: *I do not receive any money for my posts. I do however receive the review products at no charge to evaluate and express my opinion.*

7 comments:

Mindy Thomas said...

This sounds great!

Heather said...

Reading your review really made me want to pick this up and read it thanks

Lydia Smith said...

My Grandfather just passed away so this will make a perfect gift for all of my family.

Angela said...

Another really AWESOME book and review! It is awesome to learn more about Whats on the other side!! I have this book somewhere in my house! Love Gordon B. Hinckley"s poem! Miss him soo much

Rob said...

This book sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to read it.

Cozy in Texas said...

This would be a great book for discussion. I read a book several years ago by Joni Erickson Tada (I don't remember the name) but it used scriptures to describe heaven.
Ann

Cozy in Texas said...

This would be a great book for discussion. I read a book several years ago by Joni Erickson Tada (I don't remember the name) but it used scriptures to describe heaven.
Ann