Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Beginning of Better Days Book Review...

The Beginning of Better Days: Divine Instruction to Women from the Prophet Joseph Smith

How important are women in the restored church of Jesus Christ? We learn something about the answer to the question from a simple historic fact: In 1842, the Prophet Joseph Smith took time to attend several meetings of the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo and give personal instruction to the women there. He did this at a time of great personal turmoil, when persecutions were raging and his responsibilities were heavy. He did it at a time when society barely acknowledged women as having any kind of status at all. On six separate occasions, he taught the women personally about their privileges, their opportunities, their obligations, and the blessings the Lord had in store for them in His kingdom. 

The Beginning of Better Days includes Joseph Smith's six timeless sermons to the women of Nauvoo, along with personal essays from Sheri Dew and Virginia H. Pearce that help us better understand the sermons and their relevance for Latter-day Saint women today. "We have attempted to share a little about our own processes of discovery regarding the sermons," writes the authors. "This is what worked for us. What works for you may be similar—or it may be completely different. The important thing is to dig in."

I really enjoyed studying the powerful words from the Prophet Joseph Smith in this book. I also loved the personal essays from Sheri Dew and Virginia H. Pearce. It's great that at the bottom of the pages there are lines to add your own personal notes. In one of Joseph's sermons to the Relief Society he said... "The Society should be separate from all the evils of the world, choice, virtuous and holy." There are wonderful quotes throughout this book! I plan on buying this book for my mom also, it is incredible!

Thank you so very much Deseret Book for bringing us another amazing product!

Disclaimer: *I do not receive any money for my posts. I do however receive the review products at no charge to evaluate and express my opinion.* 

6 comments:

Brittany Gund said...

Thanks for the wonderful review. Sounds like a great book!

Theresa Wilson said...

What an inspiring book :)

Kimberly said...

Joseph Smith was such a great prophet. I love reading his words!

Shelley said...

I could use some of the things out of The Beginning of Better Days for our next Family Home Evening. I am always looking for new ideas so thanks Shauna!

Katie said...

I just bought this book and highly recommend it.

Angela said...

Loved your review!!! Such a great book! I love the Prophet Joseph Smith. Thanks for the video, I loved hearing the women's thoughts on the book. I would love to read this!